Monday, December 1, 2008

"White Christmas"...Day one

So this is one of my ALL time favorite movies to watch around the holidays! It brings a lot of wonderful memories to head. One of them is that this movie would always come on when my sister Sandy and I would stay the night at Gramma and Grampa Culbertson's on the weekends. And of course we would sit and watch it. Grampa and I then would start crooning together all the Bing Crosby songs and yes the Hanes sisters too! I thought that it was cool to be able to have Bing Crosby in surround sound. When Grampa sang he had a golden voice like ol' Bing and I would love to hear him sing.
"White Christmas" was written ny Irving Berlin in early 1940 making fun of the californians, there is a verse before the chorus we know. It was also first sang in the movie staring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire called "Holiday Inn". White Christmas also received the Academy Award for the best song that year.
"White Christmas is famous for other reasons as well. The World War II had destroyed not only the nations but also the hopes and aspirations of millions. With an uncertain future the dark bleak days were a torment to many. White Christmas was like a fresh breeze, giving a feel-good feeling and succor to the tormented souls. The main reason was the song expresses a sense of yearning and peace. By the time the war got over, White Christmas was the biggest selling single, a record unbroken for more than fifty years." (taken from the website http://www.christmascarnivals.com/christmas-history/history-white-christmas.html )
White Christmas was then made into a Musical in 1954 which stars GREAT old timmers like Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney(Yes, George Clooney's Aunt) and Vera-Ellen. One little tid bit is that Vera-Ellen was a very disaplined dance where as Clooney was a beautiful singer. They had to dub in another singers voice for any songs that Vera-Ellen sang in that movie.
White Christmas

The sun is shining
The grass is green
The orange and palm trees sway.
I've never seen such a day
In Beverly Hills LA.
But it's December the 24th
And I am longing to be up North.
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know.
Where the treetops glisten,
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow.
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write.
May your days be merry and bright.
And may all your Christmases be white.
Take care and enjoy one of my faves!!!
Love and God Bless you all!
Wendy

No comments: